Friday, September 01, 2006

The dating scene

So last night I was in one of the MANY malls in Dubai (Deira City Centre I think) and someone brought up the "Underground Dating Scene." My vast understanding of the Islamic culture gathered over the past 2 weeks tells me that a young unmarried woman should have no interactions with men that they are not related to.

So the new fancy way for young ladies to meet guys is as follows:
1) Carry a folded piece of paper containing your cell number between your fingers (so as to make it slighly visable).
2) Make eye contact with some hot young person.
3) Casually drop your slip of paper (digits included) on a handrail, ashtray, or some such for the other person to pick up.
4) Secret text messages and phone calls ensue.

I think the amazing part is how key a roll the cellphone plays in this underground dating.

1 comment:

mistercaseyca said...

After reading about the "Gaijin Power" in Japan when it comes to the local spices being hungry to mix with some foreign flavor, I can't help but wonder what sort of odds a tasty fella such as myself would have over there. Should I increase my urgency for paying you a visit?